Summer is right around the corner, which means it’s time to get your sterling silver jewelry ready to sparkle in the sunshine!
Here are a few tips for keeping your sterling silver and cubic zirconia jewelry in tip-top shape!
- Keep it away from lotions and oils
These products may be good for the skin, but they accellerate tarnishing on sterling silver jewelry and can ultimately destroy the jewelry’s finish.
- Avoid chlorine, bleach, and ammonia
Of course it’s OK to wear your favorite silver pieces to the beach or the pool, but for the sake of your jewelry, keep it out of the water! Chlorine causes permanent discoloration and tarnish. If the chemical exposure continues, it can cause pitting, weakening the piece and making it prone to cracks and holes.
- Polish your cubic zirconia jewelry with a toothbrush and a small amount of detergent or toothpaste, (do not use water) and gently scrub for about 10 minutes.
Alternatively, use a soft cotton cloth to avoid scratching the silver.
- If nothing else, good old soap and lukewarm water should also be able to remove dirt and grime from your cubic zirconia jewelry.
- Store your jewelry in a zip-lock bag or an anti-tarnish cloth or bag.
Never store your jewelry in newspaper, Saran wrap, or cardboard boxes as this will accelerate tarnishing. Additionally, avoid storing your jewelry in tissues or envelopes; these are often left laying around unmarked and are accidentally thrown out. Avoid storing jewelry directly on wood surfaces as well, as certain acids in the wood may damage the jewelry’s finish.
For more info, see the video below: